Thursday, February 19, 2009

Updates on Life

Well, first a couple of updates. I got a call from the auto dealership this morning. The manager of the shop had been out of town when I took the van back in earlier this week but was back today and had been told of my situation. One of his employees called to tell me that all I needed to do was bring the van back in, they would look at it again and fix it for me - no cost to me! Praise the Lord! For serious! I can't tell you what a relief that is.

Second, last evening, my computer began doing some funny stuff. I'd go to log into my gmail account, or even my blogger account, and all I would get was "Internet Explorer is unable to open the webpage". YIKES! Called Dell, explained. Virus. Gonna have to reboot the whole shebang. Fortunately, I have an external hard drive so I saved everything I could against this impending doom. But today - for now anyway - everything is ok. I'm crossing my fingers, and hoping like crazy. Of course, I did breathe a prayer last night about it. I was just preparing to go through our "favorites" list and copy down all the links so I could find the pages again. Maybe that won't be necessary. As a note, I do have virus protection and ran a full scan, which showed nothing. So, we'll see. Pray for me.

Further, I'm reading other blogs and realizing that I'm not alone in my dire misery with winter. As the old saying goes, misery loves company. But this kind of company doesn't make me feel better. Here's a totally honest assessment of my condition. I'm miserable. I have a seriously shortened temper. I can feel my frustration and anxiety go up (consequently, so does my blood pressure). I haven't got the patience to finish reading lesson with my son. I'm a mess. I'm taking vitamin D-3, but nothing beats good ol' sunshine. It's snowing here now.

To combat the rising frustration level, I listen to my MP3 player. There's a CD I bought recently on Amazon called "Praise 22". It originally came out on cassette tape in the late '80's. My college roommate and I, as odd as it may sound, would often fall asleep at night listening to this calming instrumental collection of what are now considered 'old school' praise and worship songs. (Remember "This is the Day"?) So I listen to that. I also listen to some of my favorite Irish music. It isn't all calming, per se, but it makes me happy, so that's just as good. Also, I have some very strong mental connections in my head where music is concerned. I don't know if everyone does this, but I can actually see and feel and almost smell certain days or seasons when I hear certain music. Sometimes these impressions are so strong. Yes, it's an escape. I don't deny it.

I also knit to relax. If I get a rhythm going, it's very relaxing, almost mind-numbing. Reading sometimes helps too, but I'm all out of motivation to read right now. Been doing a lot of it lately. And finally, I've pulled my guitar out again here recently and been playing it. I have a beautiful Martin that I bought several years ago, used, for quite a bit less than it was probably worth. Someone else's vanity afforded me the opportunity (that's another story). I was taking lessons at the time. I'm not good. As a matter of fact, I can't play very well at all, but I enjoy what I can do, and I try. Perhaps I should try harder. Thing is, I'm so right brained that using both hands is kind of difficult - about like playing piano. Trumpet, I can do. Mouth and one hand. Got it. Done it. Two hands... eeeh, not so easy for me. But I try.

Anyway, that's what's going on with me. My daughter is having her first real sleepover tomorrow night. I'll be making snacks and cleaning for that. She's got plans to decorate with balloons and streamers. It'll be fun for her. I have to take the boys out for awhile just to get them out of the way. Let me tell you, they're not taking this well. They get so bent out of shape if Anna gets to do something and they don't. Sheesh.

No comments: