Sunday, January 18, 2009

What is my problem?



Crimony Pete! It must be part of my "Jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none" (JOATMON?) nature. I start things and don't finish. It seems that I'm rather notorious about it at present.

As you can see from the above picture, I've got several books, all in a different state of un-read (like un-dress). Two movies I've been watching off and on for days, two knitting projects... and I picked up some double pointed knitting needles yesterday to try my hand at that! I've also got two other books on the shelf that I haven't begun yet, but are awaiting my perusal at some point.

In my own defense, it's not uncommon for a knitter to have several projects going at once. Also in my defense, I did just finish a book yesterday called, "Watch For a Cloud of Dust." It's a fun, memoir type book containing the musings and recollections of a southern veterinarian. Fun reading and some good laughs.

I think, as I sit here, that perhaps my habit of going from one thing to another may have something to do with the season. It's winter, and as I've said in previous posts, I hate winter. I soooo need spring to come. All in good time, my pretty, all in good time. But what I mean is, that I'm restless and anxious for warmer weather. Ergo, I am restless in my activities, not settling for long on any one thing.

Alas. I remember back in college once. Of all things, I decided I wanted to go and reread a rather lengthy book I had in a class once. It's a wonderful book called, "Witness" by Whittaker Chambers (thank you Dr. Alan Snyder, wherever you are!). But I had other classwork to do, a social calendar to keep, my public to address... er, well, ok, maybe not that. But I had other things to do as well. I found myself feeling all uptight and bent out of shape and couldn't figure out why. Now, hang with me, there's a point to all this. I decided to visit my psychology prof., Dr. Judy Huffman. Those of you in Marion and know her, give her a shout for me. Anyway, I unloaded on her and told her what was going on and asked for help. As I'm talking to her, she takes a pad of paper, a red pen and draws a red flag on the paper and waves it at me. In a nutshell, I was overdoing it. Giving myself too much to do and expecting things that weren't necessary. She gave me the ability to allow myself to put the big ol' book away and not finish it, AND not feel guilty about it.

Well, I don't feel very pressured to finish any of those things in my picture. I started them for pleasure and I'll finish them for pleasure, not pressure. So I don't really feel badly about having so many unfinished tasks, but it did strike me today that I've really got a lot of things wanting my attention. Things that just aren't all that important.

I may just put one or two of those books away for awhile.

No comments: