Thursday, January 22, 2009

What's for dinner?

Well, for lack of much else to say these days (except the fact that I've joined Ravelry.com and LOVE it), I thought I'd post a recipe of what the Ferren's will be having for dinner tonight.

Ham Quiche - Yes, it does take a real man to eat quiche. I happen to love it.

4 eggs
1/4 lg. green pepper, finely chopped
1 1/2 c. milk
1 1/2 c. shredded Swiss, mixed with 2 T. flour
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
3/4 t. Italian seasoning
1 c. diced ham
1/2 med. onion chopped
1/2 c. mushrooms
2 green onion tops, chopped
Bacon and parsley for top

Mix eggs, milk, pepper, salt, seasoning, onion, onion tops and green pepper well. Add shredded cheese, ham and mushrooms. Pour into a 9 inch prepared pie shell. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes. Crumble 4 slices cooked bacon on top. Sprinkle with parsley. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

This recipe is credited to one Joyce Benbow from Marion, Indiana, as printed in the 'Heavenly Dishes' cookbook. Published by Walter's Cookbooks, for Brookhaven Wesleyan Church... back sometime in the early 90's.

Ok, so now you have the recipe... here's how I do it. First, I'm out of bacon - scratch that. Second, I usually don't add the mushrooms. I like them, but I just don't put them in. I don't have Swiss on hand so I'll use some sharp Cheddar and Monterrey Jack I have. Measure pepper? Nah, just dump some in. Oh, and I'll add some 'fresh' (meaning not frozen), finely chopped broccoli to this too.

Want something different? Use ground beef instead of ham and replace 1/2 c. of milk with mayonnaise. Don't want a pie shell crust? Cook 1 cup of rice, combine it with one egg and a little bit of soy sauce. Press it into your pie plate and bake it for 10 minutes at 350 degrees. There, there's a healthier crust for your quiche.

That's why I like quiche... you can put just about anything at all into it and it's gonna be good. We love this stuff. Of course it helps that I get fresh eggs from a farmer every week, but still, it's good food. Sorry I don't have a pic... maybe I'll post one soon. I've been intending to create a "Ferren Favorites" cookbook of my own anyway with pics and recipes, etc. I need to start that.

Bon Appetit!

No comments: